Low mood is distinguished by tiredness, worrying, frustration and sadness. Often it is improved by increased sleep, the passing of time and generally taking care of yourself for example eating well and drinking plenty of water.
Depression is characterised by feelings of low self-worth combined with a sense of hopelessness and helplessness. Other symptoms are:-
– Loss of interest in activities that would normally be enjoyable
– Energy loss and general lethargy
– Persistent negative thoughts and pessimistic outlook
– Disturbed sleep, waking early or over sleeping
– Social withdrawal and isolating
– Appetite changes – craving certain foods, over eating or under eating
– Weight gain or weight loss
– In more severe cases, thoughts of self-harm or suicide
Depression can be chronic or environmental, however, medical advice should be sought in all instances. Hypnotherapy can help to alleviate symptoms and address issues however this can not be viewed as a replacement for medication. I will always request details of medical diagnosis and disclosure of medication and will request that you alert your G.P. to the fact you are seeking hypnotherapy.